I just downloaded this CD! It's going to be on repeat for awhile. I've been in love with Buddy Holly since I was little. Since I am my dad's second set of children I grew up with the classics )him being a lot older then my mother). The men and women that changed music in our history forever. No doubt in my mind if he would have lived he would have been a force not to reckon with. A true musical genus of the age. I remember Buddy above almost all musicians played in my house. My father, an old musician himself, had him playing at all times day or night. I think the older he got the more it brought him back to an age that made him feel like he had the world at his fingertips. My dad and I agree on a lot of things but music is our top topic. I like to load his nano (a gift from me for his 66th b-day) with some of the best. He likes to have it at the college with him and during his office hours he blasts classic rock music, quite to the students passing amusement. I can't wait to load this CD on there too. One of the best memories I have with my dad is going to SF just us for the weekend. I was 15. Walking down some side streets we stopped and ate lunch at a small coffee shop. It was beautiful out and the street reminded me of my home in France when I think back on it now. Small cobble stone alley, sans the cars. Just room for the shops and people walking. After we ate we took a walk and found a small theatre with a showing of the Buddy Holly Story that night. We went, of coarse! It was amazing! The
story of Buddy and his music career, love life and finally his death. By the end of the show my father along with so many his age were up on their feet dancing. It was to what was a reenactment of the final musical act to the "The Winter Dance Party". My dad was laughing and crying at the same time. I think I watched him more then the final act in the show. My dad has had some amazing things to say about his life. It is a goal of mine to recored these moments before he forgets them. I've begged him to write a book about his life. I'm not saying this because he's my father but I think it would be an amazing "normal life" biography. More related to by the baby boomers then that of Marilyn Monroe or Kurt Cobain (both bios I have read thank you). This past year, almost 10 years to the date, Reno was holding the Buddy Holly Story and a week before my dad's b-day I took him again. This time people were to conservative to get up and dance but I watched my dad cry again. I think that might have been the best birthday gift yet for him. Well the nano was pretty cool. Those are memories I'l
l never forget. A father's happy tears.

I think because of Buddy I was somewhat attracted to the idea of Elvis
Costello. The Buddy Holly of Punk. Which later lead into my small obsession of Punk bands from all over the world. Then the Grunge and Metal movement. Yes I even did my time loving screamer bands. LOL. These reasons should have had me studying for my music degree along time ago but I don't think it would have been offered then what I do now. Back in school for Music Business as an actual DEGREE! A very expensive degree though grrrrrrrr..... BUT I enjoy everything I've learned so much that I put more time in offering my business for free then anything else! I have a few meetings set up with the casinos to talk about the concerts and their show scheduling for this summer. Very exciting for me if it works out. I've turned down VIP hosting a few times now because as much as I'd love to do personal assisting I find getting my foot in the door with this company the way I want will lead to bigger things that will make me happier in the end.
NOTE: This CD rocks! Boo-YAH!
I bought it for myself over Christmas but I waited till now to open it. I don't like getting things for myself and rarely do. Maybe things to make my home more comfortable. Things I desire to have around me, to inspire not just me on an everyday, but for others when they visit. I keep many books on shelves around my house. My collection has grown to over 200 of them. Yes I've read them. I enjoy bios most and books on music. I think maybe I'll make a list of my top reads, or rereads...
Oh, in 18 days it will be The Day The Music Died! Maybe I'll have a small Buddy Holly Remembrance get together. Fun idea.... Totally suggesting to get this CD or even read up on Buddy. Very sad but good story. Cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment